Sunday 24 March 2013

Nails on Sunday - Colour Block Ombré Nails!

This week I decided to channel some of the colour blocking I have seen at fashion shows recently onto my nails, but with my own little twist. Instead of using pastels, I went for bright Blue fading into Green, ombré style if you will.


For this look I used:

Nails Inc Basil Street
Topshop Green Room
& Other Stories Twill Blue
Models Own 6 in 1 nail buffer
Tesco Baby Sponge


I started off by painting one coat of Nails Inc Basil Street. I'm not sure why I use a colour as a base instead of a dedicated base coat, I just always have and I find it works really well as it's quite thick so smoothens out any bumps easily.


I then painted two coats of my new polish I picked up in & Other Stories this week, Twill Blue. I have to say I don't think the formula of this nail polish is the best I've ever tried. It came out really thin and streaky to start with then as I started to dip it back in, the brush picked up way too much polish and it applied really thick. The brush is handy though, it's very similar to the Rimmel 60 Second nail polish, a curved shape that allows you to easily cover the nail in three stripes.


To achieve an ombré style finish, I used a sponge to apply one coat of Topshop Green Room to the tips of my nails. This came out really thin as I hoped, and then I painted the ends with the brush. Using a sponge helps to create a transition effect, so that the nail does not go straight from Blue into Green. I think a makeup sponge would be ideal for this as they're smaller, but sadly I couldn't find any in Tesco yesterday when I purchased this one.


(Please excuse the messy bits around my nails, I can't find a cotton bud to remove them with!)

What do you think? If you have any ideas for new looks I should try out, please leave a comment below!
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Both of the colors are super pretty! Great job!

    -Athenaxo
    modestlysophisticated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks so cool! Might have to try this x


    http://whatwouldaudreywear.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cool look! I can't wait to get my gel nails back to do some designs!! x
    Lyndseymaebeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute! I want to try this with a teal and mint green (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nails are amazing, I need to try and do this! Love the colours as well

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...